Replacement Interval Guide
- Vauxhall recommend:
- →2010: Replacement every 100,000 miles or 10 years (tensioner pulley and guide pulley must also be replaced).
- 2011→: Replacement every 100,000 miles or 6 years (tensioner pulley and guide pulley must also be replaced).
- The previous use and service history of the vehicle must always be taken into account.
Check For Engine Damage
CAUTION: This engine has been identified as an INTERFERENCE engine in which the possibility of valve-to-piston damage in the event of a timing belt failure is MOST LIKELY to occur. A compression check of all cylinders should be performed before removing the cylinder head.
Repair Times – hrs
|Remove & install||0,90|
- Auxiliary drive belt tensioner locking tool – Kent Moore No.KM-6130.
- Camshaft alignment tool – 2 x Kent Moore No.KM-6340.
- Flywheel locking tool (Astra-H/Corsa-D/Meriva/Zafira-B) – Kent Moore No.KM-6625.
- Flywheel locking tool (Astra-G/H) – Kent Moore No.KM-911.
- Tensioner pulley locking pin – Kent Moore No.KM-6333.
- Disconnect battery earth lead.
- DO NOT turn crankshaft or camshaft when timing belt removed.
- Remove spark plugs to ease turning engine.
- Turn engine in normal direction of rotation (unless otherwise stated).
- DO NOT turn engine via camshaft or other sprockets.
- Observe all tightening torques.
- Remove air filter housing and hoses.
- Mark direction of rotation on auxiliary drive belt with chalk.
- Turn auxiliary drive belt tensioner to release tension on belt. Use ring spanner.
- Lock auxiliary drive belt tensioner  . Use tool No.KM-6130.
- Remove auxiliary drive belt.
- Raise and support front of vehicle.
- Engine top cover (if fitted).
- RH front wheel.
- RH splash guard.
- Blanking plug from bell housing.
- Fit flywheel locking tool  or  . Tool No.KM-911 or No.KM-6625.
- Crankshaft pulley bolt  .
- Crankshaft pulley  .
- Auxiliary drive belt tensioner.
- Timing belt upper cover  .
- Timing belt lower cover  .
- Flywheel locking tool  or  .
- Temporarily fit crankshaft pulley bolt.
- Turn crankshaft clockwise to TDC on No.1 cylinder. Ensure timing marks aligned  .
- Install camshaft alignment tools  . Tool No.KM-6340.
- Ensure marks on alignment tools aligned  .
- Turn tensioner pulley clockwise until locking pin can be inserted. Tool No.KM-6333  .
- Remove timing belt.
NOTE: Mark direction of rotation on belt with chalk if belt is to be reused.
- Ensure timing marks aligned  &  .
- Fit new guide pulley. Tightening torque: 25 Nm.
- Fit new tensioner pulley and bolt. Tightening torque: 20 Nm.
- Ensure tensioner tab  engaged in cut-out  .
- Fit timing belt in following order:
- Exhaust camshaft sprocket.
- Inlet camshaft sprocket.
- Tensioner pulley.
- Guide pulley.
- Crankshaft sprocket.
NOTE: New belt supplied from manufacturer with fitting/assembly tool. Remove tool after fitment of belt.
- Tensioner pulley locking pin  .
- Alignment tools  .
- Turn crankshaft slowly two turns in direction of rotation to TDC on No.1 cylinder.
- Ensure timing marks aligned  .
- Install camshaft alignment tools  .
- Ensure marks on alignment tools aligned  . If not: Repeat installation procedure.
- Install components in reverse order of removal.
NOTE: Observe direction of rotation marks on auxiliary drive belt.
- Install locking tool  or  .
- Fit new crankshaft pulley bolt  . Tightening torque:
- A: Z16LET/XE1/XEP – 95 Nm + 30° + 15°.
- B: A16LER/Z16LER – 95 Nm + 45° + 15°.
- Remove locking tool  or  .
- Astra-G/H: Fit blanking plug to bell housing.
- Except Astra-G: Fit bolt to cylinder block.